Thursday, May 14, 2015

So, I sound like my sister and I sweep to the left

I've noticed some very interesting things about myself.  Some gaming related and some not so much since I've been posting YouTube videos.  It's been very fascinating, but probably only to me.

For starters I hate the sound of my voice.  And I sound like my sister.  But that doesn't mean I hate the sound of my sister's voice.  It's just when I'm editing the videos I don't really listen to myself other than to sync audio and cut out those dead spots where I'm not saying to doing a lot.  I never really pay attention to how I sound.  Even after I've done the initial edit and I'm checking things I still don't pay attention to sound of my voice.  After I post it online and can listen to it for real (without the pressure of editing) that's when I really notice what I sound like.

The first time I heard on voice on YouTube my gut reaction was my sister was talking.  But just a younger version of her.  She is older and there's six years between us, but I'm talking more years than just that.  Not teenage voice.  Just younger than I/she is today.  It was really weird.  I had to stop and think for a moment that it was really me saying those things and not her.  I never thought we sounded a like in real life so it was weird to hear it in video.  And it wasn't just the sound, but the phrasing and words used as well.  I guess that's to be expected since we grew up in the same household we're bound to be influenced by the same things.  It was just weird.

Also, I learned that I hate the sound of my voice.  IT JUST DOESN'T SOUND LIKE ME.  I mean the me that I hear when I'm talking doesn't sound like that.  I don't "ummm" all the time, do I?  I just don't like it.  I don't pay attention to all that stuff when I edit but listening to it for fun, really isn't "fun" to me.  Please tell me I don't sound that bad.  It's okay to lie.

The other things I learned about myself is that when I go in to a room that I need to search or clear out enemies in, I usually sweep the room starting to the left and moving around the room in a clockwise way.  I don't know why I do this.  The only thing that I could think of (from my psychology and anthropology studies) is that I'm right handed and if I were physically standing in a room I would move through the room keeping my left side to the outside wall so I could keep my right hand (hopefully holding a sword or a gun) pointed out in to the center of the room to defend myself.  Yes, I'm a nerd to think of things in that way.  It's just really weird. 

If I try to circumvent the room going right in a counter-clockwise direction it feels a little weird and funny to go that way.  That doesn't mean to don't go that way occasionally.  I just seem to prefer going to the left.  And that has nothing to do with my political preference either.  I don't think I would have ever picked up on this except for the fact that I can now watch how I played and see the kind of things I do.  This isn't something I think about while playing.  It just happens.

If you stop to think about it, do you notice anything you do while you play that you might not know why you do it?  I know of a couple people on my friend's list that would fire their guns in Gears and War and try to get a full clip perfect reload right at the start of the match.  They said it would give them a damage bonus when they ran in to the enemy.  The problem was the "bonus" always wore off before they even say the enemy.  And they would run out of bullet when they did finally find the enemy.  Silly boys.

Good, bad or otherwise, I'm learning some things about myself as I make game videos.  Once I get better at the audio and editing stuff I wonder what else I'll find out about myself.  If you watch my videos and notice things I say/do on a semi-regular basis, let me know.  I'm on a path to self-discovery.  Just don't tell me I sound like a little kid.  That's my sister's voice your talking about.

1 comment:

Wayne said...

I left a comment saying so on Minecraft but I like your voice- it's very pleasant to listen to so please don't worry. Strange things? Well, I tend to actually lean in real life when trying to look round a corner in a game like I get a better view point... I know...